Huey’s is participating this year in Memphis Business Journal’s Social Madness Competition, which gives us a chance to win $10,000 for Church Health Center! The competition is based off of our Huey’s Facebook and Twitter accounts, and is judged based on the amount of engagement we have with our customers on it. We are competing with other local Memphis organizations who have a big social media presence, and if we win the local competition, we will move on to compete in the national Business Journal Competition!
The first round of the competition has begun. It started on June 3rd and runs through June 17th. (Subsequent rounds to follow.) You can learn more about the competition here.
Official scoring rules:
- Companies will be placed into three categories (small, medium, large) based on the size of their collective social following at the start of the local competition. The 132 national qualifiers will be recategorized again based on the size of their collective social following into the small, medium, and large categories at the start of the national competition. Again, the category each participant is placed in is at Sponsor’s sole discretion. The local category placements will be determined on May 16, 2013. The national category placements will be determined on July 10, 2013.
- The proprietary Social Madness algorithm will gauge votes on bizjournals.com as well as social engagement on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Google+ during the challenge. Facebook page likes, Twitter followers, LinkedIn connections, and Google followers will not count in the algorithm.
- Social engagement is defined as likes, comments, and shares of a company’s posts by their followers.
- Scores will be updated throughout the day on bizjournals.com, but not in real-time.
- After each round, a company’s total score will reset to 0.
- Scores will be reviewed by the Social Madness judges every day. Penalties will be assessed for unnatural or purchased social media gains as determined by the judges in their sole discretion. A second offense/penalty may result in disqualification and removal from the competition.
Please, please help us and Church Health Center our by engaging with us as much as possible on Huey’s Facebook and Twitter! Like, comment, and share our Facebook posts. Follow, retweet and tweet us on Twitter! Have your friends, family, and Facebook/Twitter friends get engaged with us as well. This is all going to a good cause!
This competition runs for several months, so it is important to keep it up!
If you have any questions about this or how you can help, please contact Shannon Little at slittle(at)hueys(dot)cc or (901) 726-9693 x100.
Congratulations to our Huey’s team for another first place victory in the Great Beale Street Wine Race this year! We couldn’t have done it without such a great group: Dax Nichols, Neal Shelton, Trey Hurst, Alex Boggs, and Chris Cook.
2013 marks three years in a row we have won first place in the wine race and two years in a row we have won first place in the grape stomping contest! To see all of the action and fun we had, check out our photo album on Facebook. Also, see live video from our grape stomp and race below.
Grape Stomping Competition:
Beale Street Wine Race:
Cheers, and here’s to another victory in 2014!
This past Saturday, we were proud to be a part of MAD SWEEP 1, an event put on by the Madison Avenue Business Association, in conjunction with Clean Memphis and other local Madison Avenue businesses. For the whole morning, we walked up and down Madison Avenue, picking up trash, cleaning up abandoned properties, and doing an overall “clean sweep” of the street. There is a lot of great things going on in Overton Square and all over Madison right now, and we want to do our part as a business to make sure we are keeping the street beautiful!
It was a great morning, and we had a lot of amazing volunteers. Thank you to everyone who came out, and we are proud to be a part of such an amazing district!
Our friends at Choose 901 are turning 1 this year, and we wanted to help them celebrate. Join us on Tuesday, April 2nd at Huey’s Midtown for the first ever Choose 901 Day!
We will be decorated and have lots of great things planned for this special day, including:
- Choose 901 stickers for all guests
- The premiere of our Huey’s Choose 901 t-shirt, on sale for everyone
- Memphis themed drinks
- $5.00 901-aRitas, featuring Justin Timberlake’s 901 Tequila, with a percentage of the proceeds going to Project Green Fork
- Happy hour prices on Ghost River beer all day long
- Memphis themed trivia night
- Check in to the event “Choose 901 Day” at Huey’s Midtown via Foursquare, and be entered to win 4 tickets to LUVGLO
We are very excited about it here at Huey’s, and we hope you will be as well!
Ever felt the need to pound into women while skating and wearing killer outfits? Well, this is what the Memphis Roller Derby (MRD) league does weekly throughout their season. The Memphis Roller Derby league is composed of three home teams: Women of Mass Destruction, Angels of Death, and the PrissKilla Prezleys. All-stars from those teams form the interleague travel team, the Memphis Hustlin’ Rollers, which competes against other roller derby leagues. They are of the only all-female, flat track derby teams in the region.
You may not know that MRD is a non-profit organization, and they have approximately 60 skaters and 20 volunteers total. This means in between skating, they also volunteer with organizations such as Memphis Area Sexual Assault Resource Center, St. Jude, Salvation Army, Church Health Center, and more.
We proudly support these strong women in their endeavors to stay healthy and help the community. Roller Derby bouts are very fun, and we highly suggest you check the next one out on March 9th. Keep your ears peeled, and you just may win a Huey’s door prize while there.
MRD has 6 home bouts per year, and then will be heading to the Intra-League Championship in August.
For more information on MRD, visit their Facebook page.
This event took place on Saturday, February 2nd, at Mud Island. During the morning, competing teams perfected their chili recipes, then gave a sample to the judges, as well as letting all of the passers-by get their fill as well. In the afternoon, some very brave volunteers ran and jumped into the Wolf River Sound to raise money for the cause.
This is a very fun event, and we are always excited when February rolls around and we get to do it again!
One of our most important values at Huey’s is community involvement. Thomas Boggs always emphasizes the importance of giving back to the people who give us so much. We are excited that, as a business, we are able to get so involved with our community. There are many great non-profit organizations in Memphis, and hard-working people behind them, that we feel we can only do our best to support them. Below is a summary of our community involvement in 2012.
Our friends at Southern Living have launched a poll on their website to find the Tastiest Town in The South. They have nominated their Top 10 picks, and it is up to the voters to decide what city takes first place.
Currently, Memphis is ranked 3rd, right behind Asheville and Durham, NC. Those cities are great, but what do they really have on us? We encourage all of you to go out and vote for Memphis, because we all know Memphis has the best of all cuisines. You can vote once a day, every day.
This is a great boost for our city, and we all need you to do your part. It;s very easy, so go vote!
Each December we hold our employee Christmas party, to celebrate the holidays and honor our employees hard work throughout the year. This one was definitely for the books! It was held at The Cadre Building on Tuesday night, December 4th. Thank you to our managers Ashley Hooppaw, Bryan Jackson, and JR Williss for planning the party, and thank you to our kitchen crew Terry Gant and Kathy Neil for preparing the food. Everyone did a wonderful job, and we cannot wait until the next one!
To see all of our photos from the Christmas Party, and more, visit our Facebook album.
Happy Holidays everyone! May you have as much fun as us!
The time is almost here for our very first Barely a 4K Beer Run! Hope to see everyone there. It’s going to be a fun time! and you get a cape!
Click this link to register. It’s that easy!